Thank you for your interest in interning with California Rural Legal Assistance, Inc. Future attorneys and advocates committed to social justice or public interest will find diverse and exciting internship opportunities with CRLA!
We offer current students (law students and all undergraduates) internship opportunities throughout the year.
Students will have the ability to enhance their legal training under the supervision of experienced litigators and community lawyers. Experiences such as participating in client intake, developing cases, representing clients in administrative hearings, litigating, researching, and writing are among the hands-on experiences you may have during a CRLA internship.
CRLA’s areas of practice include Education, Employment and Labor, Housing, Leadership Development, and Rural Housing. Additionally, CRLA has special programs focused on vulnerable rural communities including Indigenous populations, LGBTQ+ populations, youth, and residents of unincorporated communities.
We are interested in receiving internship inquiries from all individuals pursuing social justice and public interest in rural areas. The following skills are particularly advantageous for a CRLA intern:
- Bilingual (English & Spanish) Fluent preferred for Migrant Offices.
- Passion in CRLA’s mission and vision.
- Experience in researching state and federal issues.
- Demonstrated ability to provide clear, concise written documents.
- Outstanding oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to work comfortably in diverse employee and client populations.
- Community service experience.
- Sound technical experience with Microsoft Office Suite.
- Full or Part-Time internships are available for University credit (specific availability may differ per office and subject area).
- Flexible start and end dates are available.
- This position is generally a non-paid position, thus legal interns are expected to provide funding to support themselves during the duration of the internship.
CRLA invites you to submit your resume, cover letter, writing sample (optional). Please include in the cover letter the desired office/location as well as requested internship timing. At your discretion you may also include: statement about how your unique background and/or experiences might contribute to the diversity, cultural vitality, and perspective of our staff and legal services practice.
*If you have already spoken to an advocate about an opportunity please add their name in the "Referred by" item and your information will go directly to them.
California Rural Legal Assistance, Inc. welcomes all participants who are interested in contributing to the community and learning more about rural legal services. We thrive on our diversity and are proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to building a culturally diverse workplace and strongly encourage women, persons of color, LGBTQ+ individuals, veterans, persons with disabilities, and persons from other underrepresented groups to apply.